In addition to classical areas of mathematics like geometry, numerical analysis, and partial differential equations, our research explores new interactions between mathematics and the sciences, in particular in the areas of complexity and cognition, discrete random geometry, efficient algorithms and scientific computing, materials science, fluid dynamics, mathematical biology, mathematical and theoretical physics, based on a strong background in analysis or geometry or in other formal disciplines.
Currently, the MPI is planning to establish besides the existing groups a strong research group in the area of applied algebra, algebraic statistics and combinatorics. Applications from these fields are also highly appreciated.
- PostDoc position for 1-3 years
- No teaching duties, but the possibility to teach an advanced course in our international graduate school.
- We provide a scientific environment where you are encouraged to explore new scientific directions and where you will find many partners with whom you can discuss a wide range of scientific ideas.
- Deadline December 31 (starting date flexible)
- Please submit using our online application form:
- list of publications
- transcript of PhD certificate (If you did not receive your PhD certificate yet: Please upload a short statement about the current status of your PhD and a brief summary of what your thesis is about.)
- research statement also addressing research projects with names of possible collaborators at MPI MiS, and
- names and contact data of three referees willing to write a letter of recommendation.
Usually, applications are only reviewed right after the deadline, i.e. in January 2017. In exceptional cases we might also consider applications in between. If there are reasons why your application should be reviewed already before January 2017 please upload your application and afterwards inform us briefly about these reasons via mail to application(at)mis.mpg.de.
The institute encourages applications from women and minorities.