(Prof. Jost, for more information see https://www.mis.mpg.de/jjost/research.html)
We are offering a position funded by the German-Israeli Foundation for Scientific Research and Development (G.I.F.) for the preparation of aMaster or diploma thesis within the research project "DISCRETE CURVATURES FOR NETWORKS: COMPARISON AND APPLICATIONS". This project will develop new geometric methods for the analysis of networks and apply them to empirical network data. The position is embedded in the International Max Planck Research School "Mathematics in the Sciences" (IMPRS MiS) and is financially supported by a stipend. The position is to be filled as soon as possible.
The institute encourages applications from women and minorities.
- Master or diploma thesis in the field of mathematical network analysis
- Participation in the curriculum of IMPRS MiS as well as of the respected department of the University of Leipzig
- Successfully completed bachelor studies in computer science, mathematics, physics or comparable qualification (e.g. Vordiplom)
- Knowledge in a relevant mathematical area, such as geometry and topology, graph theory or theory of dynamical systems
- Programming skills in a high-level language (C++, Python, or similar)
- Very good analytical and conceptual skills
- Interest in working in a multidisciplinary team of mathematicians, physicists and computer scientists
- High level of commitment, personal responsibility, ability to work in a team, flexibility
- Very good English language skills, both written and spoken
- The opportunity to write a Master or diploma thesis in mathematics or computer science (depending on the specific topic and methodology)
- The opportunity to help shaping the future of new technologies and analytical methods in various application areas in a dynamic research environment
- Integration into a highly motivated and efficient research group at the Max Planck Institute for Mathematics in the Sciences
- Leipzig is an extremely attractive, exciting city with many lakes and water-rich surroundings, as well as a very lively and alternative cultural scene
Your application should include
- transcript of examination results
- a copy of the bachelor thesis and degree
- names and contact data of two or more academic teachers willing to write a letter of recommendation
Please send your complete application to application_gif[at]mis.mpg.de.