(Prof. Jost, for more information see https://www.mis.mpg.de/jjost/research.html)
We offer a PhD position (f/m/d) in the field of mathematical network analysis (Prof. Jost). It is embedded in the research project "DISCRETE CURVATURES FOR NETWORKS: COMPARISON AND APPLICATIONS" funded by the German-Israeli Foundation for Scientific Research and Development (G.I.F.). In this project, new geometric methods for the analysis of networks will be developed and applied to empirical network data.
The payment is comparable to TVöD E13 (65 %). The position is limited to three years and must start no later than July 1, 2021.
The institute encourages applications from women and minorities.
- Research in the field of mathematical network analysis
- Successfully completed studies in computer science, mathematics, physics or comparable qualification (Master)
- Very good knowledge in a relevant mathematical area, such as geometry and topology, graph theory or theory of dynamical systems
- Very good programming skills in a high-level language (C++, Python, or similar)
- Very good analytical and conceptual skills
- Interest in independent scientific work
- Interest in working in a multidisciplinary team of mathematicians, physicists and computer scientists
- High level of commitment, personal responsibility, ability to work in a team, flexibility
- Very good English language skills, both written and spoken
- Possibility to do a PhD in mathematics or computer science (depending on the specific topic and methodology)
- The opportunity to help shaping the future of new technologies and analytical methods in various application areas in a dynamic research environment
- Integration into a highly motivated and efficient research group at the Max Planck Institute for Mathematics in the Sciences
- Leipzig is an extremely attractive, exciting city with many lakes and water-rich surroundings, as well as a very lively and alternative cultural scene
Your application should include
- transcript of examination results
- a copy of the master thesis (if applicable) and
- names and contact data of two or more academic teachers willing to write a letter of recommendation
Please send your complete application to application_gif[at]mis.mpg.de.