Date: August 11th, Room: MPI MiS Leipzig, G3 10
This event's main purpose is to bring together researchers in the seemingly remote areas of algebra and statistics (and of course everybody interested in the subject). Statisticians are not supposed to have prior knowledge in algebra and algebraists are not supposed to have any prior knowledge in statistics. We will start with a series of "what is" questions, introduce some basic concepts in both algebra and statistics, and give a glance at how methods of algebra(ic geometry) can be exploited for statistical questions.
Morning session: 9am - 12pm
- Introductory lecture (45 mins, Christiane Gorgen), see abstract
- Gröbner Basis and Solving Systems of polynomial equations (60 mins Vlada Limic), see abstract, seefull notes
- Statistical Models, Exponential families (60 mins, Eliana Duarte), see abstract
Break: 12pm - 1:30pm
Afternoon session: 1:30pm - 5pm
- Toric Ideals (60 mins, Alessio D’Ali), see abstract
- Maximum Likelihood Estimators (60 mins, Christian Lehn), see abstract
- Discussion and problems
The 2nd Algebraic Statistics Day will take place on November 10, 2017.