News & Activities
- Workshop: Mathematical Foundations and Algorithms for Tensor Computations
May 3-7, 2021 at IPAM (now online)
Part of the IPAM Long Program: Tensor Methods and Emerging Applications to the Physical and Data Sciences (March 8 - June 11, 2021).
- GAMM AG Workshop Computational and Mathematical Methods in Data Science (COMinDS 2020)
Co-organized with Max von Renesse (Leipzig)
September 10-11, 2020 in Leipzig (now online)
- Mathematics of Data Initiative at MPI MiS
Please check for the regular seminars, courses and workshops.
The research in our group focuses on low-rank matrix and tensor approximation, with emphasis on numerical tensor calculus, nonlinear optimization methods, underlying approximability principles, as well as algebraic and geometric foundations. Our goal is to obtain a deeper understanding of low-rank models and methods, and their successful use in scientific computing and modern applications. Some keywords:
- Tensors: geometry of low-rank varieties, tensor networks, higher-order singular values, tensor product operators
- Approximation: functional analytic foundations, approximation rates, singular value estimates, spectral and nuclear norm
- Optimization: block coordinate methods, truncated iterations, Riemannian optimization, rank adaptivity, optimization landscape
- Applications: high-dimensional linear equations and eigenvalue problems, signal processing, dynamical low-rank approximation