News & Activities
- From October 2020 to March 2021 I am a visiting professor at Leipzig University.
- I am a co-organizer of the workshop Mathematical Foundations and Algorithms for Tensor Computations, May 3 -7, 2021, at IPAM. It is part of the 2021 IPAM Long Program Tensor Methods and Emerging Applications to the Physical and Data Sciences.
- The 2020 Annual GAMM AG Workshop Computational and Mathematical Methods in Data Science (COMinDS 2020), September 10 - 11, has been co-organized by Max von Renesse (Leipzig University) and myself.
- Past international workshops:
Low-rank Optimization and Applications 2019, April 01 - 05, 2019, Max Planck Institute for Mathematics in the Sciences, Leipzig, Germany
Nonsmooth Optimization and its Applications, May 15 - 19, 2017, Hausdorff Center for Mathematics, University of Bonn, Germany
Low-rank Optimization and Applications 2015, June 08 - 12, 2015, Hausdorff Center for Mathematics, University of Bonn, Germany
My research is on low-rank approximation of matrices and tensors, multivariate functions, and high-dimensional equations. I am particularly interested in the algebraic and geometric structures that underlie multilinear representations of low-rank matrix and tensor manifolds, and their implications on the applicability and convergence of numerical optimization methods.
- since Oct. 2017: Max Planck Research Group Leader at MPI MiS, Leipzig, Germany
- 2014 - 2017 Bonn Junior Fellow Professor at University of Bonn, Germany
- 2013 - 2014 Postdoc at EPF Lausanne, Switzerland
- 2008 - 2012 PhD at TU Berlin
I am an associate editor of Linear Algebra and Its Applications (LAA) and of Numerical Algebra, Control and Optimization (NACO).
I am a co-initiator of the Mathematics of Data Initiative at MPI MiS.