The Max Planck Institute for Mathematics in the Sciences (MPI MiS) invites applications for several
Postdoctoral Research Positions.
MPI MiS is a research institute located in Leipzig, Germany. Our research advances outward looking mathematics. We develop mathematical methods for applications, and we translate problems from the sciences, humanities and engineering into mathematical challenges. We are committed to innovative fundamental research, and to transferring concepts and structures from mathematics into other academic fields.
This mission lives on an interdisciplinary approach to mathematical and scientific questions and we attack these questions by means of scientific exchange, collaboration, and cooperation with researchers from all over the world. We hire not only in the classical areas of mathematics like:
- Calculus of Variations
- Discrete Structures
- Mathematical Statistics
- Partial Differential Equations
but also in fields exploring the interaction of mathematics and the sciences like:
- Algebraic Statistics
- Combinatorics and Applied Algebraic Geometry
- Complexity and Cognition
- Computer Algebra
- Data Science / Mathematics of Data
- Discrete Random Geometry
- Fluid Dynamics
- Higher Structures and Category Theory
- Information Geometry
- Information Theory and Network Analysis
- Materials Science
- Mathematical Biology
- Mathematical Machine Learning / Theory of Deep Learning
- Mathematical and Theoretical Physics
- Stochastic Partial Differential Equations
Successful candidates should be willing to closely collaborate with at least one of the postdoctoral mentors of the institute.
- PostDoc position for 1-3 years
- No teaching duties, but the possibility to teach an advanced course in our international graduate school.
- We provide a scientific environment where you are encouraged to explore new scientific directions and where you will find many partners with whom you can discuss a wide range of scientific ideas.
- Deadline December 1 (starting date flexible)
- Please submit the following information:
- list of publications
- transcript of PhD certificate (If you did not receive your PhD certificate yet: Please upload a short statement about the current status of your PhD and a brief summary of what your thesis is about.)
- research statement also addressing research projects with names of possible collaborators at MPI MiS, and
- names and contact data of two or more referees willing to write a letter of recommendation.
- Submissions of applications proceed through an electronic form. This form will be hosted by Opencampus.net, a German company, so while clicking to the links you will be directed to their server:
- During the application process you will be asked for which kind of position you apply. Please choose "Postdoc call 2022".
Usually, applications are only reviewed right after the deadline, i.e. in December. In exceptional cases we might also consider applications in between. If there are reasons why your application should be reviewed earlier please upload your application and afterwards inform us briefly about these reasons via mail to application(at)mis.mpg.de.
The institute encourages applications from women and minorities.