The Max Planck Institute for Mathematics in the Sciences (MPI MiS) invites applications for several
Postdoctoral Research Positions.
MPI MiS is a research institute located in Leipzig, Germany. Our research advances outward looking mathematics. We develop mathematical methods for applications, and we translate problems from the sciences, humanities and engineering into mathematical challenges. We are committed to innovative fundamental research, and to transferring concepts and structures from mathematics into other academic fields.
In our interdisciplinary approach we tackle mathematical and scientific questions by means of scientific exchange, collaboration, and cooperation with researchers from all over the world. We hire in the classical areas of mathematics like:
- Calculus of Variations
- Discrete Structures
- Geometry / Topology
- Mathematical Statistics
- Partial Differential Equations
but also in fields exploring the interaction of mathematics and the sciences like:
- Algebraic Statistics
- Combinatorics and Applied Algebraic Geometry
- Computer Algebra
- Data Science / Mathematics of Data
- Discrete (Random) Geometry
- Fluid Dynamics
- Group theory and Dynamics
- Information Theory and Network Analysis
- Materials Science
- Mathematical Biology
- Mathematical Machine Learning / Theory of Deep Learning
- Mathematical and Theoretical Physics
- Stochastic Partial Differential Equations
Successful candidates should be willing to closely collaborate with at least one of the postdoctoral mentors of the institute.
- PostDoc position for 1-3 years
- No teaching duties, but the possibility to teach an advanced course in our international graduate school.
- We provide a scientific environment where you are encouraged to explore new scientific directions and where you will find many partners with whom you can discuss a wide range of scientific ideas.
- Deadline December 1 (starting date flexible)
- Please submit the following information:
- list of publications
- transcript of PhD certificate (If you did not receive your PhD certificate yet: Please upload a short statement about the current status of your PhD and a brief summary of what your thesis is about.)
- research statement also addressing research projects with names of possible collaborators at MPI MiS, and
- names and contact data of two or more referees willing to write a letter of recommendation.
- Submissions of applications proceed through an electronic form. This form will be hosted by Opencampus.net, a German company, so while clicking to the links you will be directed to their server:
- During the application process you will be asked for which kind of position you apply. Please choose "Postdoc call 2023".
Usually, applications are only reviewed right after the deadline, i.e. in December. In exceptional cases we might also consider applications in between. If there are reasons why your application should be reviewed earlier please upload your application and afterwards inform us briefly about these reasons via mail to application(at)mis.mpg.de.
The Max Planck society strives for gender diversity. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and we explicitly encourage applications from women as well as from all others who would bring additional diversity dimensions to our institute. The Max Planck society is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals.
MPI MiS will be as flexible as possible in assisting Ukrainian mathematicians with our programs, in particular with regard to application deadlines or the need for reference letters. Ukrainian mathematicians applying for one of our programs using the application form are strongly encouraged to also contact us via email.