Fundamental questions arising from natural and engineering sciences and economics have always inspired mathematicians to search for new mathematical structures and methods. The interaction between mathematics and the sciences forms the central point of research at the Max Planck Institute for Mathematics in the Sciences (MiS) in Leipzig.
Future proof — Mateusz Michałek (19.10.2020)
After countless publications, the composition of an extensive book on Nonlinear Algebra and many fruitful mathematical discussions Mateusz Michałek has left the institute for a new position at the University of Konstanz. More than three years of exemplary science as research group leader in “Combinatorial Algebraic Geometry” under his belt, he now took on the function of professor of Geometry (Real Geometry and Algebra). We would like to extend our heartfelt congratulations on his well-deserved success and wish him all the best in his new position. Mateusz gives us a wonderful insight into his mathematical uprising and features his research at the institute in our Future proof column.
Starting in April 2021 Paul Breiding will head a new Emmy Noether Group on Numerical and Probabilistic Nonlinear Algebra at the institute.
Both a PhD student and Postdoctoral researcher are sought out to give this group an exceptional scientific inauguration next year.
Read more >>> about Paul's cover story in the Notices of the American Mathematical Society.
- 19.10 - 23.10.2020, room: Videobroadcast, Workshop:
Koszul Duality & Operads
- 20.10.2020, 16:15, only video broadcast (please register), Feliks Nüske:
Data-based Modeling of Complex Dynamical Systems on Rich Approximation Spaces (see abstract)
- 22.10.2020, 17:00, only video broadcast (please register), Boris Hanin:
Neural Networks at Finite Width and Large Depth (see abstract)
- 26.10 - 28.10.2020, room: Videobroadcast, Conference:
Observing debates across media platforms: tools and models - an ODYCCEUS online event
- 27.10.2020, 17:00, only video broadcast (please register), Daniele Agostini:
The birational geometry of the moduli space of curves (see abstract)
- 27.10.2020, 17:50, only video broadcast (please register), Fatemeh Mohammadi:
The Amplituhedron and Positive Geometries (see abstract)
- 29.10.2020, 17:00, only video broadcast (please register), Yaim Cooper:
The geometry of the loss function of deep neural networks (see abstract)
- 05.11.2020, 17:00, only video broadcast (please register), Kenji Kawaguchi:
to be announced (see abstract)
- 12.11.2020, 17:00, only video broadcast (please register), Vincent Vargas:
Liouville conformal field theory: equivalence between the path integral and the bootstrap construction (see abstract)
- 12.11.2020, 17:00, only video broadcast (please register), Yasaman Bahri:
to be announced (see abstract)
- 11.01 - 12.01.2021, room: E1 05 (Leibniz-Saal), Conference:
Developments in the Mathematical Sciences 2020/2021
- Gess, B. and P. Tsatsoulis: Synchronisation by noise for the stochastic quantization equation in dimensions \(2\) and \(3\). [link]
- Faulkner, T. and S. Hollands: Approximate recoverability and relative entropy II. 2-positive channels of general v. Neumann algebras. [link]
- Kulkarni, A. : Solving p-adic polynomial systems via iterative eigenvector algorithms. [link]
- Blanco-Dunque, C. ; Kahn, M. ; Krone, L. B. ; Achermann, P. ; Bannerman, D. ; Olbrich, E. and V. Vyazovskiy: Spindle oscillatory-quality : a new metric for the spatiotemporal dynamics of sleep spindles. [link]
- Castillo, F. ; Martin, J. and J. A. Samper: Hopf monoids of ordered simplicial complexes. [link]
- Hahn, M. A. : One-parameter families of multiview varieties via quotient lattices. [link]
- Castillo, F. ; Doolittle, J. ; Goeckner, B. ; Ross, M. S. and L. Ying: Minkowski summands of cubes. [link]
- Sen, R. ; Fallmann, J. ; Walter, M. Emilia M. T. and P. F. Stadler: Supervised and unsupervised classification of lncRNA subtypes. [link]
- Lorenz, R. ; Flamm, C. ; Hofacker, I. L. and P. F. Stadler: Efficient computation of base-pairing probabilities in multi-strand RNA folding. [link]
- Sturmfels, B. ; Timme, S. and P. Zwiernik: Estimating linear covariance models with numerical nonlinear algebra. [link]
- Mulas, R. and N. M. Tran: Minimal embedding dimensions of connected neural codes. [link]
- Luu, H. D. : Random attractors for dissipative systems with rough noises. [link]